1 hour ago
=) Good morning – just a quick reminder before we get into today’s #firstfamilies story that the museum will be open today from noon until 3pm – come on in and learn more about the families who helped build our community. #familyhistory #heritagematters
Today’s tale is about a man who did not live in Aldergrove for very long, but whose descendents played an important part in Aldergrove’s history. This condensed story of the Albert & Elizabeth (McColm) Deans family is from The Place Between Volume 1, pages 59 to 62 and is told by the family and Ada Shillinglaw.
Photo 1, courtesy of Rod Deans, is of Albert Deans.
In 1850 in Ontario, Albert was born to a Scottish father and English mother. A surveyor by trade, Albert married Elizabeth McColm and they had two children – Charles Barnett, born in 1873 in Pennsylvania and Nelly, born in 1877 in Ontario.
When Elizabeth died, Albert was left with the two children. He and the children came to BC along with Albert’s father in law, Charles McColm. Shortly before 1891, Albert settled on homestead land, the northwest quarter section 23, Township 10 and Ward 5, just one and one quarter miles south of the Otter post office. *
In the 1891 census, Albert’s religion was listed as Presbyterian and he was classified as a farmer. Using his skills as a surveyor, he sub-divided his land and by 1892 he was living in both Langley and Otter – according to the BC Directories.
After 1897 Albert had moved to Murrayville and lived on what is now Newlands Golf Course. He became the first magistrate of Langley Municipality, a post he held for 26 years without a break. He also acted as a school trustee.
Albert moved to California in 1923***, where he married Annie Keeling, who died in 1927. He died in 1929 and is buried in California.
Charles Barnett Deans, Albert and Elizabeth’s eldest child, was a clerk at Robert Shortreed’s General Store in 1895 (according to the 1895 BC Directory). In 1899** Charles married Christina Shortreed, sister of Robert. Some time prior to her marriage, Christina Shortreed had been a teacher at Aldergrove South School, earning $50.00 per month, according to the 1892 Sessional Papers.
Charles became a general merchant, operating stores in Ashcroft, Clinton and by 1906 in New Westminster. Children born to Charles and Christina were Albert, born in 1900; Margaret, born in 1901; Robert, born in 1905; Stanley, born in 1906; Stuart, born in 1908; Nell, born in 1911.
While in New Westminster, Charles became ill with Tuberculosis and passed away in 1913. In 1916 Christina and the Children came to live with her family in Aldergrove.
Photo 2, courtesy of Rod Deans, is of Christina with the children - Margaret, Stuart, Stanley, Robert and Albert, with Nellie is standing in front of her mother.
She was provided with 15 acres from her father’s homestead land. She lived in the old homestead house until 1921, when she went to keep house for her father in law, Albert. When Albert moved to California in 1923***, Christina returned to the Aldergrove homestead.
Albert and Elizabeth’s daughter Nellie, whose story is not told in The Place Between, married 26 year old chemical engineer in 1893 at the age of 17.
*Note – records show that widower Albert Deans married Barbara McKay of Langley in 1893. Barbara died in 1923.
**Note – records show that the marriage year was actually 1898.
***Note – records show Albert moved in 1925.
Story Source: The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 pages 59-62
Photo Source: Courtesy of Rod Deans The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 Page 60 ... See MoreSee Less
1 day ago
In today’s Aldergrove #FirstFamilies story you will be introduced to the widow Jane Perry in a story told by Jim Shortreed and Ada Shillinglaw.
Unfortunately there are no photos of Jane in our files, so this article is accompanied by images of documents that are reflective of Mrs. Perry’s life. #familyhistory #heritagematters
Jane came to Otter about 1888 as a young widow who had left her children back in Ontario. She homesteaded the southeast quarter of Section 12, Township 10 and by 1894 she owned this land. In 1892 she was listed in the BC Directories as a farmer and continued to be listed until 1910.
Jane had been born to Henry Hood in 1852. She lived in Ontario where she married Charles Perry in December 1872. Children born to this union were: Laura Eugenia, 29 December 1873; Charles, who died in infancy; followed by Clarence, William and Frank. The last child born to Jane and Charles was daughter Mable, in August 1882. It is not known when Jane became widowed. Jane was joined on her Aldergrove farm by daughter Laura in 1898. Jane had hired Michael McIntrey to help on the farm.
Around 1900, Jane was able to buy the Broe place, the northwest quarter of Section one, Township 10. However, Jane died in 1910, leaving the homestead quarter section to her daughter Laura, who had married Jim Shortreed. Jane left half of the “Broe” land to her other daughter Mable, who had married Nicolas Caryrs. Jane left her sons some money from the farm, and also made provision for Michael McIntrey who was to receive $50.00 per month for as long as he lived.
Laura and Jim – Shortly after Laura arrived in Aldergrove, she obtained work at the Shortreed General Sotre and post office from owner Robert Shortreed. Here Laura became the first person to operate the telegraph key when it was installed in the store. She also became the manager of the store. She married James Shortreed on 22 September 1903.
Story Source: The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 pages 270-271.
1891 Census Image Source: Original data: Library and Archives Canada. Census of Canada, 1891. Ottawa, Ontario, Canada: Library and Archives Canada, 2009. Series RG31-C-1. Statistics Canada Fonds. Microfilm reels: T-6290 to T-6427. Source Citation Year: 1891; Census Place: New Westminster, New Westminster, British Columbia, Canada; Roll: T-6290; Family No: 269
BC Directory Image Source: Williams’ Illustrated Official British Columbia Directory 1892 Part 2 R.T. Williams 1892 Victoria BC Microfilm Reel 970029 Reel Title Number 1 Vancouver Public Library
1881 Census Image Source: Original data: Canada. "Census of Canada, 1881." Statistics Canada Fonds, Record Group 31-C-1. LAC microfilm C-13162 to C-13286. Library and Archives Canada, Ottawa. Images reproduced by courtesy of Library and Archives Canada, Ottawa, Canada. Source Citation: Year: 1881; Census Place: Scarborough, York East, Ontario; Roll: C_13248; Page: 6; Family No: 32 ... See MoreSee Less
2 days ago
Today’s Aldergrove #FirstFamilies story is about James and Matilda (Morrison) Walker, from The Place Between Volume 1. Photo 1 is of James L. Walker and Photo 2 is of Leslie Walker with her mother Mathilda. Note – this story is told with cultural terms that were in use at the time of publication.
Born in Trowbridge Ontario on 7 May 1849, James Leslie Walker came west to California in 1869, travelling by boat from New York to a port on the east side of the Isthmus of Panama, then by rail to the west coast, completing the trip by boat. He remained in California for five years before coming north to the Bellingham area to log.
He decided to not stay in Bellingham, and moved north to Lynden, where he homesteaded on property adjoining the international boundary line. He was joined by his father James in 1875 and the remainder of the family in 1876.
In 1882 Mr. Walker sold his homestead on the American side of the line and rejoined his family, who had earlier pre-empted a quarter section of land on the north side of the international boundary line, commecing at what is now Jackman Road (272 Street) and running west towards what is now 264 Street. With the death of his father in 1882, James Jr took over his pre-empted property, where he lived until his own death.
A lumberman all of his life, James Walker spent the summers working in the woods on the American side and winters clearing his own property. Known as one of the best axe-men in the country, his services were in keen demand in the logging camps. According to newspaper reports, James and other early white settlers in the Aldergrove area had considerable trouble with the Matsqui and Nooksack Indians. Mr. Walker was almost murdered by an Indian known as “Indian Pete”.
In 1883 James Walker married Miss Matilda Morrison, who was born in 1863 to another pioneer family – the Kenneth Morrison’s of Glen Valley. Mrs. Morrison was a niece of Jason Allard. James and Matilda had two daughters, Jessie Morrison and Leslie Elizabeth (known as Bessie in the Aldergrove community.
Jessie was born on 15 December 1885 in Fort Langley. She worked in a restaurant in Vancouver and then in the CPR purchasing department until she married Percival James Howard in 1927. She was widowed in 1933. She lived in the ‘new’ Walker home, built in 1912 on 0 Avenue until her death in 1973.
Bessie was born at Shortreed (Patricia) on 27 November 1887* and married Percy Calvyn Armstrong on 7 August 1917. She was widowed in 1947**. Bessie and Percy had one daughter, Lesley Merle, who married Maurice Finnerty of New Westminster. They had two children: Lesley Clara (married to Stewart M. Wells, with two sons Sean and Michael), and Patrick Finnerty.
After a long life (51 years in BC), James L. Walker died in 1933. He had been a charter member of the Aldergrove Lodge, No. 66, B.P.O. Elks and was recognized as one of the oldest members of the Elks order in Canada. He was also a veteran Oddfellow, joining the I.O.O.F. order in California in 1872. Mr. Walker was buried in the cemetery at Lynden, Washington. Mrs. Mathilda Walker died in late June of 1934.
Story Source: The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 pages 358-359.
Photo 1 Source: The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 page 358.
Photo 2 Source: The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 page 359.
*Note: BC Vital Statistic records show that Leslie Elizabeth Walker was actually born 27 November 1897.
**Note: BC Vital Statistic Records show that Percy and Bessie had been living in Vernon for 27 years when he died in 1947. Percy is buried in Langley. ... See MoreSee Less
Singing in the library with no shushing from the librarian! Very enjoyable performance by the Langley 1st Capital Choir for our library's 60th anniversary.
#beautifulmusic #happybirthday #heritagematters ... See MoreSee Less
Celebrating our library's 60th anniversary with Councillor Arnason followed with a performance by Langley's First Capital Chorus.
#happybirthday #heritagematters ... See MoreSee Less
Today’s Aldergrove #FirstFamilies story is about Peter and Jane Spence, from The Place Between Volume 1. #familyhistory #heritagematters
Peter Spence was born in 1849 and came to Canada from the Orkney Islands by way of the USA. He arrived in Vancouver in 1883 and worked as a carpenter, helping in the rebuilding of the city after the great fire of 1887. He then came up the Fraser River on the steamer “Ramona”, landing at what is now 240th Street at River Road. Note: There is a photo of the Ramona (and other steamships) hanging in the museum in the Parlour Room.
Peter located 160 acres of heavily timbered land with a year round creek in a deep ravine. He bought the quarter section for $1.00 per acre. Peter Spence build a shack of split cedar logs, and when it was finished he sent to Scotland for Jane, whom he married.
Mr. Spence built the Coghlan General Store and also the Forman House. He built many of the early houses, all in the same two story style. He had a strict building timetable and nothing – weather included – was allowed to interfere with it. The mill supplying the material knew exactly what he needed and delivered it promptly.
Peter also owned the first horse in the area. It had served to power both the “Black Maria” and the hearse in New Westminster before Peter accepted it as part payment for a building job. The horse lived to the grand old age of 29 years.
Besides his busy building business, Peter raised pigs and cattle and worked as a net foreman in fish canneries. His busy life also included being a trustee for the East Langley School.
Peter and Jane raised a family of three sons: William, James and Peter, who all worked on the farm.
First son William was born in 1898 and served with the 72nd Division Seaforth Highlanders in World War I, returning to Coghlan in 1919. William married Florence Mouncer of London in 1920 and moved first to Telegraph Trail and then to Armstrong Road, where they raised their family of three children: Ernest, Bill junior and Julia, while earning a living logging and fishing.
When Peter died in 1939 at the age of 90, Bill returned to the farm and with brother Jim shipped milk to one of the independent dairies in Vancouver.
Florence died in 1964 and when Bill died in 1970, the farm was left to their son Ernest.
Peter and Jane’s middle son James was born in 1900 and passed away in 1949. Younger son Peter junior was born in 1903, spent his life on the farm, and passed away in 1951.
Story Source: The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 pages 321-322.
Photo 1 Source: Courtesy of M. Twemlow, The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 page 321.
Photo 2 Source: Uncredited, The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 page 322. ... See MoreSee Less
4 days ago
Today’s Aldergrove #FirstFamilies story features the tale of John and Elizabeth (Scollay) Skea, who homesteaded 160 acres in the Telegraph Trail – Otter Road (248 Street) area. Their story is as told by Joyce Skea, wife of John and Elizabeth’s grandson, James Hector Skea.
John Skea, born at Eday in the Orkneys on 30 January 1863, became a baker and then went to Capetown, South Africa, to serve in the Boer War. When he returned after three years to Scotland he married Elizabeth Scollay on 12 December 1885.
In 1888 John and Elizabeth, along with their first child Kate, aged 17 months, sailed for Canada, arriving at Fort Langley in May of that year. They settled on Telegraph Trail and 248th Street. John often spoke of carrying a wood and coal stove on his back up the hill from Fort Langley to his home.
Mr. and Mrs. Skea raised a family of three boys and four daughters: Catherine Ann (Kate, 1887), James (1889), Elizabeth (1891), John junior (1894), Rhoda Violet (1898), Jane (1901) and David Reid (1903).
The house, built in 1888 by John and his brother James, was of hewn bush logs and split cedar shake lath. After building the house, James returned to Scotland because his wife refused to come out to Canada.
John filed interim homestead papers on 9 July 1888 and received a certificate of recommendation on 26 November 1895, after completing the “three year” clause. He paid $1.00 per acre for the 160 acres.
Between 1916 and 1920 the original land was divided between the three sons; James remained on Telegraph Trail, John was on Otter Road (248 Street), and David stayed with his father in the original home. Son John later moved to New Westminster.
John senior was a deacon of the Sperling United Church and helped to support it. In 1936 he and his wife Elizabeth celebrated their golden wedding anniversary. Elizabeth died on 3 November 1945 at the age of 82 and was followed by John on 29 April 1949.
Catherine married Cliff Pearson and had three children: Harold, Lorna and Gordon.
James, the first child to be born in Canada, served in World War I with the Canadian Engineers and also as councillor for the North Coghlan district from 1930-1940 as wel las on the Langley District Advisory Planning Commission at the time of his death in 1963. He married Ruth Hector in 1919, and they had three children: daughters Ila and Rheta, and son James Hector. They sold their share of the farm in 1957 and moved to 4423 Carvolth Road (200th Street). Ruth was named Good Citizen of the Year in 1964. James passed away in 1963, and Ruth in 1981.
Elizabeth Skea married a Mr. Reid, and they had one daughter, Beth.
John junior married Elsie Birkett and had three children: Butler, Frank and John III. The family moved to New Westminster in 1928, and then back to Otter Road in 1948. John junior passed away in 1974 and Elsie in 1990.
Daughter Rhoda married a Mr. Armstrong.
Daughter Jane (Daisy) married a Mr. Hemphill.
Youngest son David married Ethel Johnston and had two children: Donald and Marilyn. David passed away in 1960, and Ethel in 1979.
Story Source: The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 pages 313-314.
Photo Source: Courtesy of M. Twemlow, The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 page 313. ... See MoreSee Less
5 days ago
Today’s Aldergrove #FirstFamilies story is about Philip Jackman Senior and his wife Sara Ann Lovegrove as told by Dora Chapman. #familyhistory #heritagematters
Philip Jackman Sr. was born in 1835 in the parish of North Lew in Hatherleigh, Devonshire in England. He arrived in Esquimalt on Vancouver Island as a sapper in the Royal Engineers on 12 April 1859 at the age of 24. He was then transferred to Moodyville, now Port Moody, under the command of Colonel Richard C. Moody, leader of the Royal Engineers.
Gold was being discovered in the Cariboo, and with many Americans coming into Canada, Governor Douglas was afraid the Americans would take over the country. Thus the Royal Engineers were engaged.
From the headquarters at present-day Sapperton, the sappers were employed in road building, survey work and construction of the Cariboo Trail.
One of Philip Jackman’s first jobs was the construction of a wharf on the Fraser River in New Westminster. Road work involved construction of the Cariboo Road through the Fraser Canyon, the Dewdney Trail from Hope to Rock Creek, and in later years the survey of the Canadian Pacific Railway line.
On the 19th of March 1863, Philip married Sara Ann Lovegrove in St. Mary the Virgin Church in Sapperton. Sara had come to British Columbia with her parents from Windsor, England. She met Philip while employed in her first job, which was as a housekeeper for Colonel and Mrs. Moody. On 22 October 1863, Philip was honourably discharged from the Royal Engineers.
Philip and Sara lived for a short time at Sapperton and then in New Westminster, where because of his military background, Philip became the first police constable in New Westminster for nine years. Not only was he constable, he was the entire police force. The “Black Maria” was wheelbarrow with which he many times carried persons under the influence of liquor off to jail.
In 1872 Philip, Sara and their family settled on a quarter section in Aldergrove. The 64 acres were given to him as a military grant for his surveying work. On this land they built the first house in the Aldergrove district.
Philip and Sara established Aldergrove’s original store on the corner of Jackman Road and the Yale Wagon Road. Egg prices were 15 cents per dozen and butter was 15 cents as well. After three years they closed the store – it proved unprofitable due to the sparse population.
The Jackman’s then farmed for a while, until Philip was appointed Government Fisheries Inspector, a position he held on the Fraser River for 14 years. He walked from Aldergrove to Glen Valley and the Fraser River every day.
Philip and Sara had six children. Philip Junior homesteaded on what is now Ross Road. Richard operated a large nursery on top of the hill north and east of his parents’ farm on Jackman Road. He had hundreds of roses which he tended with a big brown horse who pulled the cultivator between the rows and never stepped on a rose bush.
Emilia Sara, the eldest daughter, married Alexander Murchison and resided in Langley. Other children were Emily and two children who died in infancy.
Philip Jackman Sr was active in public and municipal affairs, serving as Reeve of Langley municipality from 1895-97. At 82 years of age, he walked the nine miles from Aldergrove to his son’s home on Ross Road (then called Dennison) every day.
When he passed away at age 92 in 1927, Philip Jackman was the last surviving member in British Columbia of the original party of Royal Engineers who came up the Fraser River in 1859.
Jackman Road (272 Street), Philip Jackman Park and Jackman Manor were all named for Philip Jackman Senior. There is also an interesting memorial to Mr. Jackman in the park behind the Telephone Museum.
Story Source: The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 pages 149-150.
Photo Source: The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 page 149. ... See MoreSee Less
6 days ago
Today’s Aldergrove #FirstFamilies story is about Arthur Fuller and Laura Jane (Kessen) Goldsmith. Their story is told by Audrey McRae, one of their grand-daughters.
In 1884 Arthur Fuller Goldsmith, then 39 years old, came from England to Aldergrove to begin life as a farmer. Before he could begin to plant seeds on the quarter section he had chosen, he had to remove the crops nature had already produced – the alders, birches, vine maples, and the fallen trunks of firs and cedars 2 to 5 feet in diametre, 200 to 300 feet long.
His previous experience as an architect had hardly prepared him for the physical effort required, but he began, backpacking supplies over a trail from the Yale Road and splitting enough cedar boards to make the first part of a house for his family to come to.
In 1885 Laura Jane Goldsmith, who had been born in Ceylon on 6 December 1845 to the Reverend and Mrs. Andrew Kessen, LLD, joined her husband with their four children – Arthur Kessen (10), Jessie May (8), Elsie Telfer (4) and Edward Henry (2).
Laura brought the children from England, crossing the United States by train before completion of the Canadian Pacific Railway. Arthur walked to New Westminster to meet them on 28th August and took them by horse and wagon on the trail to their new home. There Laura Jane coped with all the hardships of a pioneer wife while Arthur slowly built the house and farm buildings, cleared land, cut firewood and fence rails and began farming.
On 20 October 1888, their 7th child, Anna Flora Kessen Goldsmith was born. Two babies died in 1880 in Toronto on a previous venture into Canada by the family. Their chief medical adviser was a book provided by a doctor brother before they left England.
Ministers visited from time to time, but the Bible was with them always. Teachers were mother and father until the Douglas School opened in 1895. A picture of the first class shows that Elsie, Edward and Anna Goldsmith were pupils. The teacher was Alice Hay. Books of different sorts were sent from England for instruction and recreation.
Arthur Fuller Goldsmith died in 1905 and his wife Laura Jane died on 16 May 1934.
Story Source: The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 page 112
Photo Source: Courtesy of A. Pilkington, The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 page 112. ... See MoreSee Less
Today’s Aldergrove #FirstFamilies story is about the three enterprising Broe brothers, with the story as was written by Norm Sherritt. The Broe brothers settled in the Patricia area in 1890.
One of the more interesting family groups to live in the South Aldergrove part of the 2 ½ mile belt were the three Broe brothers.
Born in the United States of Norwegian parents, the three brothers took up homesteads on either side of County Line Road half a mile from the US border, shortly after the 2 ½ mile belt was opened up in the 1880s.
They probably came from Lynden, because communications with the established centres in Langley was practically non-existent. Calling County Line Road a “road” in 1891 is a misnomer. Only a trail through the bush and overgrown by tall trees, it was barely passable in summer, and impassable in the winter.
Where other settlers attempted to eke out their living growing turnips, potatoes, rhubarb and cabbage, the Broe brothers attempted, with some success, to grow hops.
Bill Poppy remembers where the Broe places were. The hops were grown on the John W. Broe place and on another place across the road and right on the border. This would be the quarter belonging to Jacob Wilson, who had been born in Norway.
Bill Poppy also remembers that years later on could still see the piles of timbers which were used for the hops. He thinks the hop growing experiment eventually failed because of the difficulty in marketing the hops.
Despite their isolation, the Broe brothers enjoyed some of the social graces, as indicated by the report in the New Westminster Columbian of 29 June 1891:
“Fort Langley Items: Mssrs Broe Brothers, the enterprising and extensive hop growers of “Tow and a half-mile belt” Aldergrove entertained their Langley friends with a strawberry feast a days since, which was much enjoyed by all present.”
Also in the same issue it was reported that "A. G. Broe, Aldergrove, registered during the week at Mrs. Towle’s Commercial Hotel, Langley." From where the Broe brothers lived, if one had business to conduct in Fort Langley, or wished to visit one of the bars, it was necessary to stay the night in one of the hotels.
A picture of the Broe hop operation shows a two story log structure with a tall steeple-like vent or smokestack and a ramp up to a second story. This was a hop kiln for drying the hops (note the pile of cordwood on the right). This picture is dated 1898, after the brothers had been farming for about 10 years. There is no record when the hop operation ended and Langley lost a potential agricultural industry.
The 1891 Langley census lists three Broe brothers. The youngest, Andrew George Broe was 24 in 1891, unmarried, and his homestead was on the east side of County Line Road, a mile from the border.
The middle brother was Lars Larson Broe, aged 28 and married to Ellen (age 26) who had been born in Norway. They had one daughter, Lena. She had been born in BC. Lars’ homestead was opposite that of Andrew, across the County Line Road to the west.
The oldest brother was John W. Broe (age 34), and his wife Serena (age 28), both born in the United States. They had three children: Lawrence aged 7, was born in the United States. Alfred, aged 5 and Edith, aged 1, had both been born in BC. John’s quarter section was on the east side of County Line Road, half a mile from the border.
Story Source: The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 pages 26 and 27
Photo Source: Courtesy of Norm Sherritt, The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 page 26. ... See MoreSee Less
Today’s Aldergrove #FirstFamilies story is about Nathaniel, Henry and Robert Coghlan as written by Iris Coghlan. The photo of Captain Charles Coghlan and his brother Frank (two of Robert’s sons), is provided courtesy of Iris Coghlan.
Nathaniel, Henry (Harry) and half-brother Robert Coghlan came from Atwood Ontario in 1892 to up adjoining homesteads between Carpenter and Howell Roads, on what later became known as Coghlan Road.
The lumber for the cabins on the two properties was all hand-sawn and hand-hewed. They had to back pack all their provisions in to their homestead from Fort Langley.
Gradually, a road was slashed through from the Telegraph Trail. As each new settler came, more road was cut until it finally joined up with the Yale Road (now called Fraser Highway).
Thirteen years after coming out west, Henry Coghlan married Elizabeth Bowen, who had from from Cardiff, Wales and was working in Langley. One son, Clifford, was born from this marriage.
Nathaniel Coghlan never married, but worked with his brother in mixed farming, taking their cattle and farm produce to Fort Langley to be loaded aboard the steamer plying the Fraser River to New Westminster where it was sold or auctioned.
Grain was taken to the Hossack grist mill on River Road east of Fort Langley. The grain was made into flour for home use or meal for the livestock. The Coghlans fished the Fraser River and logged.
When the BC Electric Company was laying the railway, the Coghlans cut 20 000 ties for them. The Coghlan Station was later named for them.
Later the homestead was subdivided into five and ten acre sections, and the Coghlans sold out, moving to Fort Langley where they led a more retiring life with a small farm. In spite of retirement, Nathaniel and Henry died at the ages of 62 and 63, just a year apart in 1917 and 1918.
Robert Coghlan was a hewer of bridge timbers for the railway. Robert’s wife Helen and their children – Jessie, Ella, Mabel, Charles, Nora, Lawrence and Roberta arrived after 1882 by way of Portland and then up the coast to New Westminter.
Oldest daughter Jessie, 20 years of age, stayed on in Portland. Their second eldest daughter, Ella, went to Mt. Lehman to teach from 1883-87 when the first school was built in that area.
Robert Coghlan then move to Mt. Lehman in 1886 after he built a log house on property south of Albin Hawkins. A year after the family moved to Mt. Lehman, another son, Frank Wilbur, was born on 1 November 1887.
One year later, Robert Coghlan passed away on 14 December 1888 from pneumonia.
Story Source: The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 47.
Photo Source: Courtesy of Iris Coghlan, The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 page 48. ... See MoreSee Less
Today’s Aldergrove #FirstFamilies story is about David William Sr and Sarah (Best) Poppy, as told by David and Sarah’s son, Bill and is written in the language of the time. Note: D. W. Poppy School is named for both father and son – David William Poppy Sr. and Jr. The accompanying photos are of David Sr., taken in 1920, and his wife Sarah, taken in 1904.
Another railway man to come to Langley in 1886 was David William Poppy. Born in 1861 in Pulham, St. Mary’s, Norfolk in England, David Poppy came to Canada in 1883 to work on the Canadian Pacific Railway.
Starting in Winnipeg, he worked west across the prairies on a survey gang laying out cities. He assisted in the laying out of Medicine Hat, only to learn that Indians came along afterwards and pulled up all the stakes and used them for firewood.
In September 1886 David Poppy came out to Langley with his friend James Melrose and took up abandoned homesteads. Mr. Poppy lived in a cabin erected by the previous owner in the area known as Otter. He would prove up the land during the winter and work out in the summer.
One summer he hauled pilings from Burnaby to the Vancouver waterfront, and another summer he spent in a logging camp in Surrey on Crescent Beach. He went to Atlin in the gold rush in 1898.
David William Senior and Sarah Best were married 5th January 1906. They had two sons, David William Junior and Arthur James, and a daughter Elizabeth May.
Mr. Poppy was active in municipal life for more than 50 years. He was reeve of Langley for 20 years, from 1908 to 1913 and from 1918 to 1932. He served as postmaster fro 24 years, justice of the peace for 49 years, magistrate for 11 years, school trustee in 1895, and councillor and police commissioner (1934-1945) for two years each. He was the first president of the Fort Langley Board of Trade in 1910.
David Poppy Senior was never defeated in an election, serving first as elected councillor in 1895 until he retired as magistrate in 1945. In 1956, he presided at the inauguration of his son, David William Junior, as reeve of Langley.
Mr. Poppy Sr. died in September 1957, just two weeks after his 96th birthday and was buried at the Murrayville Cemetery. Sarah Jane Poppy died at the age of 88 on 17 October 1960.
Story Source: The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 pages 270-271.
Photo Source: Courtesy of D. W. (Bill) Poppy, The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939 pages 270-271.
#FamilyHistory #HeritageMatters #CommunityArchive ... See MoreSee Less
Today’s Aldergrove #FirstFamilies story is that of William and Mary Cottell as related by Alice Cottell and daughter Mae Hannah.
In 1882, William Trewyn and Mary Ann Cottell arrived in Aldergrove to settle on the NE quarter of Section 30, Tp 10 – presently the site of Canadian Forces Base “Aldergrove” on North Jackman Road.
William Trewyn Cottell had been born on 21 December 1841 in Blisland Parish, Bodmin, Cornwall, in England and had come to Canada where he met and married Mary Ann Hookway on 17 July 1874, in St. Thomas Ontario.
Mary Ann, who was born on 1 October 1855 in Hamilton Ontario, was the daughter of Edward Hookway and his wife Mary Snell.
William and Mary Ann had lived for the first years of their marriage in Hogmarsh Ontario, where three of their children were born – Emma 1874-1952 (married Charles Holtz), Mary 1875-1956 (married Thomas Crowthers), and Charles 1881-1952 (married Roseanna Sutherland).
The Cottells farmed and raised their children on their ranch in Aldergrove and are remembered fondly by their neighbours.
Other children who were born in Aldergrove were William 1885-1910, John 1886-1943 (married Dolly Robertson), Charlotte 1887-1974 (married John Spoonemore), Sarah 1889-1974 (married Robert Fly), Ernest 1894-1061 (married Nellie Groves), Chauncy 1898-1967, Alice 1900-1002 (married Leon Prasiloski) and Frederick 1902-1980 (married Evelyn Ross).
Most of the family moved out of the area, except for Charlotte, Ernest and Alice, who married and raised their families here. Ernest, Chauncy and Frederick all worked in the logging business throughout BC.
William Cottell died in May 1923, while his wfe Mary Ann lived until January 1937. Both were buried in the Aberdeen Cemetery, as were son Ernest and daughter Charlotte.
The photo is of Mary and William Cottell, taken in 1904 on their farm in Aldergrove.
Story Source: The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939, pages 51-52
Photo Source: The Place Between Volume 1 1860-1939, page 51, courtesy of Louise Rouse ... See MoreSee Less